Pour all of your energy into trusting Me. It is through trust that you stay connected to Me, aware of my Presence.
Trust is one of those things that is difficult to conjure up when needed. It is through building a relationship that trust arises. Think of the closest person to you…if you trust that person, why? If not, why not?
Trust is built over time but can be torn down quicker. It takes time to build trust in someone. They have to earn the trust over time. Likewise, if there is not enough trust in that person’s account, it can be removed quicker than it was built up.
Let me try to explain another way… Everyone has an emotional bank account where the balance reflects the amount of trust between the two people. As the account rises, there is trust that is built into the relationship. As withdrawals are made, the balance goes down and trust diminishes.
Things that make the account rise are things like (i.e. a husband/wife relationship):
- showing love according to the way the other person receives love (their love language)
- making it through the tough times and retaining commitment
- loving not just in words, but in actions
- making the spouse a priority above mom and dad
- (as a man) being the spiritual head of the house
- becoming angry, defending yourself selfishly without accounting for your spouse’s feelings
- Putting things/others first above your spouse
- speaking of separating
- Proverbs 29:25 – Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trust in the Lord is kept safe.
- Psalm 23:4 – Even through I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and staff, they comfort me.
- provided us with His infallible word
- sent his Son to die as a sacrifice for our sins, in turn we can retain the righteousness of Him
- He provides multiple promises to us in His Word, all based on conditions though
So, we build the bank account with God by learning what he has said/done through the Word of God. As we learn about Him, we are building a relationship with Him, and trust is built. The thing is, He will NEVER do anything that will diminish the bank account! He is a loving God and his faithfulness goes on forever.
Therefore, it is necessary for us to build the Lord’s emotional bank account so we can trust Him more. We do this by building a relationship with Him, and learning what He had done for us in the past through the learning of His Word.
Our emotional bank account is somewhat different between the Lord than our spouses, but the principles remain. Trust is built through the maintaining of the relationship over time. Whereas in a marriage relationship, it takes two to maintain the relationship, in our relationship with the Lord, it is more up to us. He has already done His part.